Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Not So Human

On Monday, I promised I’d talk more about my upcoming novel, Not So Human, the first installment of my Faerietales series. (And yes, I know I spelled “Faerietales” incorrectly. It was on purpose.)

As the title implies, the story is about someone who isn’t nearly as normal as she thinks she is. She’s in fact – *GASP!* – a faerie.

I know. You totally didn’t see that one coming, right?

The story actually started out autobiographical in nature. You see, once upon a time, I was working a temp job where I had about fifteen minutes worth of tasks each morning, and then pretty much nothing else to do for my remaining eight hours and fifteen minutes there.

Don’t ask me why they needed a temp in the first place. It was an utter waste of their money.

It also isn’t my idea of a good time. Neither is listening to coworkers who constantly joke about inane sexual stuff, like using animal crackers as condoms. I kid you not.

But moving on…

My boredom and disgust pushed me to start writing about a 24-year-old college grad stuck in a dead-end temp job with coworkers who could put Spencer’s gifts to shame. And somehow or another, my story took off from there, landing squarely in the fantasy realm.

Here’s the recap:

Sabrina might not care for everything about herself, but she’s still fairly used to being a human, an orphan and an everyday average American. However, her life changes forever the day she’s followed home by four men in dark suits and sinister shades. A crash-course in reality reveals that she’s actually a faerie princess, with a royal family in Scotland and some particularly brutal enemies hunting her down in the U.S.

Fleeing the country doesn’t solve her problems though. It only adds to them. With her new tiara to try on for size and a potential romance that seems bound to go badly before it begins, Sabrina still has to stay one wing ahead of the Human Preservation and Advancement Committee. Which has made its mission to ruin her life. Permanently.

And here's the working cover. I know it's a bit blurry, but this is the general idea:



No comments:

Post a Comment