Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Switching From Fantasy to Thrillers – Why Do I Write Across Genres?

I might be working on Faerietales 4, but I’m done publishing fantasy fiction for the year. I’m now switching over to the world of thrillers. Political thrillers, to be precise.

Which means that as of the 24th of May, I will have published Christian fiction, historical fiction, fantasy and modern fiction.

All I need to do is add in some mystery, chick-lit, young adult and sci-fi, and maybe the next “Fifty Shades of Grey,” and I’ll be a mini Barnes & Noble.

Just kidding about “Fifty Shades of Grey.” I have soooooo much more dignity than that. Not to mention talent.

I also don’t have plans to plot out mysteries, not because I don’t like them but because I’m not sure if I have the right type of mind to write that way. More power to those authors who do though.

But other than those two genres, I’m open to whatever the muse strikes me with. And since my particular muse likes to strike me with a whole lot of randomness, that means, in some ways, she’s a lousy one to have.

You see, most authors make a living for themselves by building up an audience. And how do you build up an audience? You appeal to the same people over and over and over again so that they keep buying up each new book that you debut.

Most people do have a particular genre they consistently turn to. Hence the reason why fantasy writers stick to writing fantasy.

Christian fiction writers don’t write anything but Christian fiction.

Historical fiction writers and thriller writers? Yeah… It’s usually the same thing.

My muse, however, apparently isn’t a capitalist. Or maybe she is, but just isn’t the brightest entrepreneurial spirit in the box.

Go figure I’d get a flighty one.

With that said, I cannot wait to tell you more about Dirty Politics 1: “The Politician’s Pawn” next month.

Because as inconsistent as my muse is, she sure can come up with one heck of a story line…

No comments:

Post a Comment