Monday, October 12, 2015

When Reality Is Too Unrealistic for Fiction

I’ve read plenty of books I’ve found unrealistic. Sure, they’re novels and therefore not reality, but there are just certain plot points I roll my eyes at and go, “Yeah, that would never happen.”

Like, I don’t know… say… everything about Fifty Shades of Grey.

Contrived setting, dialogue, plots and characters are something to be avoided at almost all cost. I say almost, because sometimes life itself gets unbelievable, prompting writers to go, “That did not just happen!” and then, “I wonder if that could fit into one of my books?”

Off the top of my head, I can think of a few absolute caricatures of real people. Like a best friend’s father who gets into angry arguments with her about whether or not there’s caffeine in Vitamin Water. In front of me. For five minutes straight.

Awkward!

Or there’s the time I was the only one in my four-apartment building for a month until the night someone moved in above me. I met his brother that evening, and then I met my new neighbor Josh the next day, upon which point he asked me out. Yet when I went to knock on his door at the agreed upon date and time (which was fine by me), he wasn’t there, leaving me to tape a note for him. Two hours later, I found a response on my own door saying what a nice idea the date sounded and how he’d love to meet me.  

Confused? I certainly was… until I figured out I had two neighbors move in the same day.

Oops!

Completely ridiculous, right? If I read that in a book, I would probably roll my eyes.

And speaking of unbelievable, I know some of my friends have thought I was taking creative license with stories about my workplace, where sexual harassment is overlooked, lying to customers is encouraged and raises/bonuses are withheld without any reason given even when the company had a banner year. Worse yet, I can’t even completely blame them for their skepticism when, the stories I tell really are so unprofessional as to be a bad joke.

Yet they’re still 100% true.

So what happens when you want to borrow from your stranger-than-fiction real life for your novels? It’s actually quite doable.

Have your characters admit how unrealistic their situation is. Make them wonder how they fell down such a rabbit hole, or let them joke about where they went wrong to be in such a mess.

When writers acknowledge how Ripley’s Believe It or Not it is, readers are much more likely to buy their tale.

2 comments:

  1. Wait, seriously, you went to the wrong door for a date????? I want more info on that!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol. Oh, it happened. Craziest set of circumstances ever!

    ReplyDelete