Monday, July 6, 2015

The Very Good Reason Why I Made Reformed Bad Boy Rod Most Like Me

Last week, I admitted that I had no idea what I was doing when it came to writing “Amateurs Play Elsewhere” from Rod’s perspective. I mean, I had next to nothing in common with him.

But I also said I found a way around that. Here’s how…

I made him like me after all.

I might not be able to change his gender, his military experience, his criminal history or the fact that he’s a moody baby with a temper and an unhealthy fascination for the female figure. That was already established in “The Politician’s Pawn” and “Moves and Countermoves,” and there was no going back, at least not without a ton of hassle.

So instead I added personal details about him that I happen to share.

That’s why Rod became an Italian born and bred in New Jersey, an ardent Steelers fan and a hater of crossword puzzles. Because his clueless creator needed him to be.

Moreover, it worked! I found myself inside Rod’s head like I owned it. Or as my fascinating younger brother would say, like I’m the boss.

I threw in some awesome snark about Italians (Anyone offended by that? Click here), alternately defended and derided New Jersey, and trashed the Ravens (Anyone offended by that? Read “Moves and Countermoves to feel better, since main character Evans is a Baltimore fan).

And I had a lot of fun doing it all from start to finish. It made him more relatable to me, which in turn allowed me to make him more relatable to readers.

All in all, I’m proud to say that he’s every bit as compelling a character as Kayla and Evans were in their respective stories. You might even find yourself falling in like with him by the time you’re done.

No comments:

Post a Comment