Wednesday, December 2, 2015

I Can’t Take It Anymore: Here’s My Political Rant

I’m going to go on a political rant against everyone, so forgive me.

Or don’t. I genuinely could care less right now.

After having to read an embarrassingly illogical conservative piece yesterday that my unethically capitalistic employer published, and then being subjected to my embarrassingly immature liberal coworkers rip it apart like they have some handle on decency… well, let’s just say I’m in less of a diplomatic mood.

Why in the world don’t people ever stop to question their own motives, tactics and logic instead of focusing solely on everything the other side is doing wrong? We could all save ourselves a lot of pain and misery if we would look in the mirror once in a while.

I mean, what are we afraid of seeing?

History has proved time and time again what such closeminded devotion to a cause – even a good cause – can do. And, newsflash, it ain’t pretty.

For example, researching the American Revolutionary War while writing Maiden America and now Designing America, I uncovered a whole list of grossly inappropriate behavior… on both sides… all because individuals or groups thought themselves completely right and anyone who disagreed with them completely irrelevant.

Tired of hearing me talk about that time period? Fine. How about World War II? A large reason Hitler had the opportunity to rise to power was because Germany was treated so miserably after World War I.

In other words, if the allied powers had stopped for a second to consider the possibility that they might be being self-righteous instead of righteous, we might never have gotten the Holocaust, with its genocide, persecution and downright revolting science experiments on human beings.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t have your opinions. I’m not saying you shouldn’t keep your opinions. I’m not even saying you shouldn’t passionately stand by them.

But for crying out loud people of all political stripes, recognize that you’re just as fallible as the other side… and that you have the same exact ability to be an embarrassingly hypocritical jerk.

Otherwise, before you know it, you may put a future into motion that history will not smile on.

1 comment:

  1. I need to change my work photo to the picture in this blog.

    ReplyDelete