Wednesday, December 16, 2015

The Lesson I Learned From My Impromptu One-Line Role on House of Cards

If you opened up this blog post because of the title, I might as well admit right up front: It’s a lie. Sorry, kids, but that’s showbiz.

Since you’re here though, you might as well keep reading… Right?

The truth is that House of Cards is filming its Season 3 finale in my office building this week, two and three floors below me. I’m just not allowed anywhere near the actors. Apparently, someone got ahold of my police record from the time I threw myself at Gerard Butler and declared my undying love for his shoulders. And accent. And abs.

Okay. That’s a lie too: the part about the restraining order, I mean. The rest is true. So true that I was prevented from entering my office this morning by two very nice but very firm House of Cards security personnel. Apparently, the show was in the middle of shooting a scene and it was “quiet on the set” for another three minutes.

Once I was allowed in, I had to snake my way up the backstairs, past camera crew and other techies to the fourth floor. I didn’t get to see much, and I definitely didn’t get a glimpse of Kevin Spacey or Robin Wright, but what I saw wasn’t that much of a turn-on.

That’s not meant as a slam against any of the dozens of additional individuals at my office building. The ones I’ve briefly interacted with seem pleasant (and one of them apparently told off one of my more obnoxious coworkers, which makes me giggle). Not to mention that the food platters I saw set up for cast and crew looked delicious.

All the same, it was a madhouse! There were people everywhere: outside lining the sidewalk, around the front and back doors, inside… This little introvert-writer wasn’t overwhelmed, but I also wasn’t craving what I saw (except for the food. That really did look good).

There was no Little Mermaid moment for me: I really have no desire to be part of that world.

Then again, I’ve never understood the appeal of Hollywood. I don’t care how many gorgeous mansions they get to live in or dresses they get to wear or cars they get to drive; they’re also told what they’re allowed to weigh, do and even be.

“Don’t stand like that, honey. The camera doesn’t like you from this angle.” “Let’s Photoshop that nose; it could be a lot more attractive if we just…” “She’s thirty-two now. Cast her as a mother. That’s all she’s good for anymore.”

Those are the kinds of comments you get to hear when you’re in front of the camera. Hence the reason why I think it’s so much more worthwhile to be a writer, where I call the shots.

The only tempting aspect about having even an impromptu one-line role on House of Cards is that maybe… just maybe… I’d be able to help myself to those food platters.

1 comment: