Monday, May 11, 2015

No Nurses Were Harmed in the Making of This Novel



I have a confession to make. I’m not one of those brilliant authors who can write about stuff I have no concept of.

For example, two years ago, I started a story about a lawyer in New York City who got turned into a vampire. It was going to be a hysterical chicklit piece, but I couldn’t get more than two chapters in. Why? Because I have no idea what it’s like to be a lawyer.

Yeah, yeah, I know. I also don’t have a clue what it’s like to be a vampire. But that seemed a lot easier to write about than the legal stuff. I mean, you don’t have to go to school to learn about sucking people’s blood.

So there you go. You know my shameful secret. My failing as an author. Which is why I had to make my main character in “The Politician’s Pawn” – a character who gets kidnapped and terrorized and, well, I can’t say more without issuing a major spoiler alert – the same exact profession as one of my best friends: oncology nurse.

I actively borrowed from my best friend’s expertise and stories in order to make Kayla Jeateski realistic. However, their personalities and looks are completely different. If I had based Kayla off of Ashleigh in any other way, shape or form, the story would have been a lovely fairytale with a Disney-princess ending.

I might be able to throw characters with my personality and some of my basic looks under the bus. And I can definitely do it to the ones I base off of people who irritate me. But I draw the line when it comes to best friends.

Even writers have their loyalties. Or at least they would if they had the friends I did.

2 comments:

  1. Have you been published, Jeannette?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup! I've published five so far through Amazon.com:

    The Adulteress (Christian/Biblical fiction)
    Maiden America (Historical Fiction)
    Not So Human, To Err Is Faerie, and Up in the Air (Fantasy).

    And I plan on publishing three more (political thrillers) over the next three months. :-)

    ReplyDelete