Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Ravens vs. Steelers… Too Much Fun!

Anyone who really knows me knows I’m a Pittsburgh Steelers fan. Which means I’m automatically anti-Baltimore Ravens. We’re supposed to hate each other. Or so I’ve been taught ever since moving to this proud-of-purple area.

Bleck!

Yet “Moves and Countermoves” main character Thomas Evans is a Baltimorian born and bred. And he’s a man’s man. So I had to make him a football fan in general and a Raven’s fan in particular. It just made sense that way.

Surprisingly for someone whose eyes narrow and lips purse whenever she sees anything Ravens, I had an absolute blast getting into Evans' head and trashing the Steelers a few times over. That’s especially since I made continuing character Rodney Andiluigi – a definite antagonist in at least the first half of “The Politician’s Pawn” – giving allegiance to Pittsburgh.

Which means I got in a pretty decent dig against quarterback “Big Ben” Roethlisberger at one point. Which made me giggle. Which probably makes me a really bad Steelers fan.

Oh well. I redeem myself in Dirty Politics Book 3: “Amateurs Play Elsewhere.”

Come to think of it, I trash the Ravens in that story more then I do the Steelers in this one. Though that’s not because I’m horribly biased. It’s not even my muse Katrina’s fault.

There would be a few more pro-Ravens comments in “Moves and Countermoves,” except that my darling editor – a New York Giants fan all the way – struck them out as being pointless.

So I tried, boys and girls. If it doesn’t come across that way?

Well, we can’t win ‘em all.

Just ask the Ravens.

Okay. Okay. And the Steelers.

But we still have more Super Bowl rings. Don’t forget that.

3 comments: