Wednesday, September 23, 2015

You Know You Want to Tell That Story…

If my blog readers haven’t figured out yet, I LOVE to write. I think it’s one of the most worthwhile hobbies out there, and most days I would happily shut myself into a room, ignore the world at large and just work on one of my stories.

Sometimes I have to force myself to hang out with friends (and I definitely have to force myself to go to work) instead of sit at my laptop, constructing new plot points for characters to navigate.

When it comes down to it, I suppose I’m a functioning addict. In my defense though, out of all the addictions to have, this is a pretty safe one. Consider:

·         Sure, I had to pay for my laptop and then there’s my electricity bill to keep it running, but other than that, I don’t have to spend anything to let my imagination fly. Alcohol, cigarettes, drugs and gambling require a lot more financial backing than that.
·         It entails me sitting safely on my couch, where I can’t be struck by cars or attacked by psychos, both of which would otherwise be strong possibilities since I live in Baltimore.
·         It could eventually pay off quite nicely.

Does that sounds like a logical rationale for becoming a writing addict? Are you curious about the lifestyle? Maybe even tempted to try it?

Editor’s Note: I’m officially cutting myself off now. I could continue the addiction analogy, but then that would make me a dealer. And you can get into a lot of trouble as a dealer. I mean, the cops and the rival drug lords alone! I just don’t have time for that drama. So let’s reroute…

The truth is everyone has a story to tell, including you. And it’s up to you to tell it.

That’s not a guilt trip to make you write. There are so many other ways to tell a story than through the pages of a book: dancing it out on a hardwood floor or brushing it onto a canvas or playing it as a song or constructing it into a building.

But for those of you who think you’d like to express a more literal narrative, there’s Innovative Editing, my all-inclusive editorial service for authors-in-the-making. I’ve helped writers:

·         Organize their thoughts into workable book ideas
·         Fight through writer’s block and distractions
·         Sort through problematic parts
·         Rearrange segments to make for better transitions or more logical conclusions

I’m good at it too, in large part because I’ve had to work through those issues myself. I know how exciting and terrifying and frustrating and inspiring the literary process can be.

I also know I’ve found it 100% worthwhile, and I’d love to help you discover the same.

Shoot me an email at JDiLouie@InnovativeEditing.com, or check out my website at www.InnovativeEditing.com.

Either way, I look forward to hearing your story!

No comments:

Post a Comment