Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Fiction Is in the Eye of the Beholder

To some degree, good fiction is in the mind of the reader.

If you haven’t figured out yet, I’m a bit of a book snob with ardent opinions on what is and isn’t worth my time. Except in the case of Fifty Shades of Grey. Saying that it’s a contrived piece of trash isn’t opinion; it’s fact.

For that matter, I’m going to stand by most of my criticisms. And just for the record, I set the same standards I hold for other books on my own head, hence the reason why I was so annoyed with myself for finding two dozen (largely little) mistakes in one of my own 300+ page books.

No excuses whatsoever.

Yet I realized after looking through GoodReads that perhaps my positive opinions are much more subject to personal taste than I previously realized. For example, I found out there are fantasy readers who don’t like Seanan McGuire’s October Daye series.

With four of those books on my shelf already and full intention to buy the rest, I’m a definite fan. Sure, I’ve nitpicked (largely little) details, but the characters are compelling, the plots leave me craving more and the writing style is overall solid.

At least according to me. So you can imagine how shocked I was to read the following not-so-impressed comments about the first book, Rosemary and Rue:

·         “This started off strong, but it lost a whooooole bunch of steam as it went. The story never really felt like it was driving forward, just sort of meandering onward.” – R.
·         I never cared about Toby, I never cared about her friends, the murder or the investigation. I kept reading trying to summon an ounce of interest and I just couldn't.” – Alexa
·         Rosemary and Rue really isn't bad. I can't complain about the writing, the action, the mystery or the protagonist, October ‘Toby’ Daye. But somehow, this book just never got a hold of my interest.” – Megan

What!!!?!

At first, I’ll admit, I brushed off their opinions as crazy. Yet when I started thinking about it, I had to acknowledge that readers are individuals, and individuals have different turn-ons and turn-offs. What works for me, therefore, doesn’t have to make every other fiction connoisseur out there go “Ooh!”

Really, that’s a lesson that all authors – or maybe all people – should take to heart. You really can’t please everyone. You’re not supposed to please everyone. You’re just supposed to strive to be the absolute best you can be and let it go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment