Wednesday, October 21, 2015

When I Taught Novel Writing I at Community College of Baltimore County


I know I’m being a bit repetitive this week, first talking about being a writing addict – which I broached back in September – and now bringing up your potential writing ability (which I also broached in September, in the same exact blog, actually). But I was thinking about the continuing education class I taught earlier this year at Community College of Baltimore County.

Going into it, I knew full well that it might be an… ummm… interesting experience. During my time as a writing tutor both before and after I established my Innovative Editing freelance business, I’d read some not-so-impressive creative efforts. Not everyone is meant to be a writer, and sometimes that shows vividly.

So when I got official word that enough people had signed up for Novel Writing I, I steeled myself for the probability of helping people who were woefully out of their depth. And when I realized that every single one of my students wasn’t looking for a writing tutor to help them construct their plotline, but an editor to critique their already-completed draft… I really had to get my head on straight.

But I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Out of my five initial students, only one of their introductory chapters needed intense revision. And even that one got a whole lot more captivating as it went on.

There was the young adult tale of a Midwestern girl who was trying to fulfill her ancestor’s impressive legacy… the fantasy fiction story of an indigenous South American tribesman back centuries ago who had a run-in with the gods… a murder mystery about a senior citizen who was framed for a former coworker’s death… a historical account of a Vietnam War soldier with a supernatural twist… and a somewhat abstract, stream-of-conscious account of what can happen when you seek revenge.

I know I taught my students a lot, but they taught me something too. Mainly, not to be such a snob.

Yes, there are people who write 900-page stories that make my eyes glaze over and my brain hurt from all of the clichés and unrealities they employ. But there are also plenty of amateur writers out there who really have what it takes.

They’ve got captivating ideas, compelling characters and writing styles that just need some guidance in order to turn into something worth standing on the New York Times best seller list.

Which begs the question…

Are you one of them?

2 comments:

  1. It was back in January - March 2015. It's still being offered this semester in the CCBC continuing education class, but 5 people have to sign up in order for it to actually be taught. So if you know anyone who wants to learn how to write a novel, send 'em that way!

    ReplyDelete