Monday, October 5, 2015

My Very First Book Signing: The Afterword

So… My book signing…

First off, let me state that I had a ton of fun! Considering that Ukazoo is a used book store (which I totally recommend, fyi) where people go for bargains, not full-priced books, it wasn’t as profitable as it could have been elsewhere.

Yet I still enjoyed myself thoroughly, and not just because I got Oreo Dream Cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory afterward.

For one thing, it was a fascinating adventure in human observation. Apparently, I’m not the only person who can’t stand salespeople. Most customers walked by my nice little table and purposely looked every which way but at me, as if they were terrified that I might rope them into a pointless and pushy conversation if they dared to meet my gaze.

Which, just for the record, I had no plans on doing. The people who did smile back got a cheerful. “Hi, how are you?” and then an appropriate response depending on what they said. If they kept walking, then I went right back to writing in my little notebook.

Incidentally, that little notebook is the second reason why I found yesterday so worthwhile. I wrote almost the entire Author’s Note/Historical Prologue section to Designing America while I sat there. And while I know I’ll be adding bits and pieces here and deleting sentences there, I’m quite content with that first draft. It wrote well and shouldn’t take too much effort to make it read well too.

I did sell one copy of The Politician’s Pawn to an actual customer (and four more to ridiculously adorable family members), and jotted down my information and professional website for another person who wanted the Kindle copy of Not So Human. I also chatted with some very nice and helpful people about such things as how to properly pronounce “Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.”

Incidentally, that mother-daughter duo was very impressed that I said it correctly, though that’s what happens when you live there for seventeen years. You pick up on little things like that.

There was one gentleman who stands out the most, however. When he stopped to eye my table, I asked him if he liked political thrillers or fantasy fiction. He shook his head and said no, so I politely pursued the conversation by inquiring what genres he did like.

He answered, “Oh, you know, books about characters.”

Maybe I should have told him about my historical or Christian fiction stories instead. I’m pretty sure those involve such creative constructions. Not sure… Maybe I should go back and check.

No comments:

Post a Comment